Sunday, July 1, 2012

Healthier Mac 'n Cheese

I checked out a book from the library that was about whole grains. It had some great recipes in it and I made this but "tweeked" it to make it my own.

The sodium level of this is kind of high, not sure what it is, because the site I entered the ingredients into only gives the fat, calories, carbs and protein.  However, based on the ingredients, it can have a lot.

The meat and veggies can be changed.  I think it would be good with chicken and broccoli or even some bacon!  The original recipe was fresh spinach and ham.  But the kids are not big fans of cooked spinach.
I used homemade chicken broth, I keep it in my freezer and strain all the fat off of it before I toss it in the freezer.

I also have a price breakdown on it too!
Sorry, I don't have a picture to add, It was gone in about 10 minutes!


Grocery  List:


Ham $0.94, got a huge chunk on sale for 2.99 a pound. We sliced some and used the rest for this!
Whole Wheat Macaroni $0.90
Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese $1.67
Broccoli $0.67 Costco= 3# of Fresh Broccoli Florets for $4ish
Corn Starch $0.05
Chicken Broth FREE
Water Free, kind of.
Total:  $4.68!!!


Ok, here is the recipe:


Mac 'n Cheese with Ham and Broccoli

2 cups Chicken Broth
2 1/2 Cups Water
9 oz Whole Wheat Elbow Macaroni
5 oz Diced Ham
8 ounces Shredded Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 T Corn Starch, mixed with 1 T water
8 oz broccoli, steamed

Combine water and broth in a large pot. Bring to a boil.  Add pasta and cook 3 minutes less than the directions suggest.  DO NOT DRAIN.
Reduce heat to medium high. Stir in Ham and cheese.
Thicken with corn starch.
Stir in Broccoli. Serve.  Makes 4 servings
Cal 588, Carbs 62g, Fat 23g, Protein 37g 


No comments:

Post a Comment