Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A conversation...

Me: Do you like Nutrigrain bars?
Dale: Yeah
Me: Want me to try and make them?  I found a recipe.
Dale: Really?
Me:  Yep, I have all the ingredients to make them too. Oh, wait, I don't have anymore whole wheat flour, and I am also out of Jam. Do you think Grape Spread will work?
Dale:  No, get Raspberry Jam.
Me: I still need to get whole wheat flour. Maybe I will get some at sprouts after I take the kids to VBS.
Dale: Will they be ready before I go to work?
Me: No, I need to go to the store.
Dale: Oh...

So that is how most of the recipes are tried here at our house...I begin with "Do you like..." and Dale responds with yes or no.

So I got this recipe from my cooking friends.  It was good, but I did it a bit different than the recipe called for. (As if I wouldn't change it!)

I used parchment paper to line the pan so that it would come out easily.

This would have worked if I had removed the bars from the pan before they got soggy on the bottom.  So, next time, I will take them from the pan after they have cooled slightly.

The flavors were great.  We really enjoyed them. I will make them again!

The edges were crispy, the center gooey!  I cut the bars into 16 squares to get per serving counts as follows:

Calories   172
Carbs    32g
Fat      4g
Protein 2g
And the Store bought bars:
Calories     120
Carbs     24g
Fat     3g
Protein 2g



Here is the recipe:


Carriescooking.com <-- I have no attachment to this site!
I have been looking for a recipe for a homemade breakfast bar that had ingredients that I have available at home on a regular basis. I generally find recipes that have ingredients that I have either have never heard of or can only be find in health food stores. Check out this recipe.

Ingredients
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup apple juice
10 ounces jam (apricot, blackberry, blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, or apple butter)
1 tablespoon water

Directions
Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Add the oil, egg, vanilla, and apple juice, and mix with a spoon or a mixer. Press 2/3 of the mix evenly into a greased 8x12 pan. Mix the jam with the water, and spread evenly over the mix. Crumble the remaining oat mixture over the top, and bake at 325 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Before cutting, cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment