Friday, December 7, 2012

Slow Cooker Mac N Cheese

Brian's class had a party for his teacher. He is a HUGE Wisconsin ! SO I made Crock pot Mac n Cheese for the class party. There was only a bit left after 22 seventh graders attacked it for lunch! I had some of it cold and I can say it was pretty good! The only thing we did differently was to add the macaroni an hour after starting the cheese sauce. Also, they did not add the cheddar, they thought it was cheesy enough with out it!
Oh, and since I was making it for 22 kids and a few adults, I doubled the recipe. I don't think 3 cups of pasta would feed that many!
Also, I have NO IDEA where this recipe came from, I found it online but can't for the life of me remember where!
OK, a google search revealed it is from Hillbilly Housewife


Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
3 cups pasta, uncooked
3 Tbl butter, unsalted
8 oz. Velveeta cheese, cubed
1 ¼ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 cup milk
½ cup heavy cream
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper

Cook the pasta in salted boiling water for 5 minutes or until it is just under al dente.  Drain and place in the slow cooker.  Add the remaining ingredients to the pasta and stir until well combined.  Cook on high for 2 – 3 hours stirring about every 30 minutes. 
Note: Some people have mentioned their mixture finished cooking after 1 1/2 hours on high. It really depends on the type of slow cooker you have. So it wouldn’t hurt to check for doneness at that time.  The pasta should still hold its shape and the cheese is completely creamy.  This makes about 6 servings as a side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment