Sunday, January 6, 2013

CHRISTmas Leftover Soup!


For CHRISTmas this year we had Steaks and Roasted Veggies. It was WONDERFUL!
True to form, we had WAY too much food! There was left over steak, veggies and bread (Homemade by ME!).
My sister made the veggies. It was a combo of Onion, Colored Bell Peppers, Baby Eggplant, Brussel's Sprouts, Carrots, Mushrooms, Zucchini, Yellow Squash, Broccoli, and Cauliflower! All tossed with salt, pepper, and whole cloves of garlic! And don’t forget the Olive Oil!
She roasted them until they were soft and delicious! We ate 1/8 of what she made.
I took them home in a baggie. I thought they would make an amazing soup!

There was a whole steak leftover too, seasoned with garlic and salt and pepper. We like our steaks cooked Medium Rare, MMM, now I want a steak!

Did I mention I made homemade bread? Well, it was Fantastic too! I think my opinion of it was raised when my sister’s boyfriend said he wanted to take some home! He is a chef and is not a fan of leftovers. Score one for me!
What else would you do with left over veggies, cooked till soft, medium rare steak and bread? The first thing that came to mind was Soup! It was a frigid day here, 59 degrees for the high.
All I can say is it was wonderful! I put the sliced bread in the oven for a few minutes to heat it up and get a bit of toast on it. 
The soup was more like a puree not really a soup. I took some to my sister who made the veggies and to my mom. My sister ate it as soon as I took it over to her house. She was impressed too! My mom never got to the soup so I can’t give you her opinion but she said it looked good!
Of course you can make this soup with different veggies, with different meats, without bread. The up side of it was that the only “extra” ingredient I needed was broth. I am not a wasteful person, I use as much of the food I buy as I can. I save the ends of veggies to roast for stock; I save the fatty parts of meat that I cut off before cooking and store them in a baggie. I use these items to make “free” broth and stock, but that is another post!
So dinner this night cost me NOTHING! It was all made from leftovers!
Here are the recipes: Oh, and a few more photos!
Roasted veggie soup
8 cups roasted veggies, cold and divided
8 cups chicken or veggie broth
Sliced steak, cold
Bring broth to a boil. Add in 6 cups of the veggies. Using a hand blender, blend until as smooth as you like.
Return to a simmer for 10 minutes.
To serve: Place ¼ cup of cold roasted veggies in bowl, top with sliced steak, Pour soup over veggies and meat. 8 servings.

Romano’s Macaroni Grill Rosemary Bread
via food.com

Ingredients
1 tablespoon yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons rosemary (I used fresh!)
2 tablespoons butter
Directions
Place yeast, sugar and water in large bowl or food processor and allow mixture to become bubbly.
Mix in 1 T butter, salt, and 2 cups of flour.
Add one tablespoon of the fresh chopped rosemary.
Knead for about 10 minutes by hand or in food processor about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
Add more flour if necessary.
Oil a bowl, put dough in it and cover with a towel.
Let dough rise in a warm place for one hour until doubled.
Punch down dough and divide in half.
Let dough rest about 5 minutes.
Spray baking pan or cookie sheet with cooking spray.
Shape the dough into 2 small rounded oval loaves.
Sprinkle remaining 1 Tablespoon of rosemary over the loaves and press lightly into the surface.
Let loaves rise again until doubled, about 45 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
Carefully remove from oven, brush with remaining butter (and salt if desired.).








No comments:

Post a Comment