Sunday, April 1, 2012

I make some Yummy Lemon Bars!

We had some friends over. Their daughter is gluten free. We were only serving deserts.
I googled Gluten free lemon bars. No reason why I just wanted to make them. I found this cool website, www.howtocooklikeyourgrandmother.com Drew writes a blog and posts step by step directions. Thank you Drew Kime for the inspiration!
The Lemon bars were not GF. But they looked very yummy. I scrolled through the comments and someone, asked about making them GF. He gave a suggestion, then someone who is GF gave a recipe for the crust. I used that recipe and tweaked his Lemon Bar filling to reflect my own style. Below is the recipe for the lemon bars, As I made them. I have not made the regular crust, only a GF crust. I added soy free to the title since there are so many people who are eating soy free too. I didn't do anything to make them soy free, they just are.


Gluten and Soy Free Lemon Bars

Crust:
Gluten Free Crust: *Non-Gluten Free Crust:
1C Rice Flour *2 C Flour
½ C Corn Starch *1 C Butter
½ C Powdered Sugar *½ C Powdered Sugar
¾ C Butter, room temperature

Filling:
2 C Sugar
4 Eggs
4 Tbl Rice Flour for GF, All- Purpose for Non-GF
1 tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Salt
+/- ¼ C Lemon Juice, about 2 lemons, the more lemon, the longer you cook it.
Lemon Zest from 2 lemons

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

For Crust:
Combine all ingredients in a mixer. Pat into a 9x13 pan in an even layer. Bake 20 minutes. Do not brown.
For Filling:
Combine all ingredients, making sure not to whip the eggs. Pour into pre-baked crust. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes.
It should be set, not giggly. Allow to cool. Cut before putting in the fridge. Store cut bars, covered, in a single layer for up to 4 day, if they last that long!

No comments:

Post a Comment