Sunday, January 29, 2012

Chicken and Bacon with Bowties & Big Time Banana Bread

I love to try new recipes! Unfortunately for my family, I love to try new recipes! I found this recipe from a cooking board I have been a part of off and on for the last 13 years. Yep, there was a very small group of people on the internet back then! That is back when we used to "dial-up" and no one could call you on the phone when you were on line!

I kind of enjoyed this recipe. I would (& did) make a few changes:
Attached is the recipe, but here is what I used:
Mexican Cheese $1.50
Wacky Mac $1.89
Bacon Bits $0.50
Milk $0.60
Cream of Chicken soup $0.88
Garlic Powder $0.01
Flour$0.05
Chicken $1.50
Mixed Veggies $0.88
Crescent Rolls $1.88
Total $10.23
I thought it was ok. I used pork bacon bits, because I had them, I used wacky mac, since it was the only veggie pasta I could find at my Fry's. I used garlic powder since I like to leave the salt out. Dale & Ashlyn add salt anyway. I served it with frozen mixed veggies and crescent rolls. I also did not taste the cheese. I think I will leave it off next time, wasted calories. I did make it in advance and let it sit in the fridge until I was ready to leave for church tonight. I set the time bake and baked it for 45 minutes at 350. The noodles were overdone, even though I cooked them for 6 minutes and the bag said to cook them 10. I guess this is not a make a head meal!


chicken-bacon bowtie bake
from Family Circle, December 1, 2011
1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast (12 ounces)
4 slices turkey bacon
1 pound tomato and spinach farfalle (such as DeCecco)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups fat-free milk
1 10 3/4 ounce can 98% fat-free condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
Directions
1. Heat broiler. Coat a 2-quart broiler-proof baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place chicken breast on greased broiler pan and broil 4 inches from flame for 6 to 7 minutes per side until internal temperature registers 160 degrees F. Remove to plate and cut into 1/2-inch
pieces. Keep warm.
3. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook bacon about 5 minutes until crisp. Chop and reserve.
4. Cook pasta following package directions, about 12
minutes. Drain.
5. Stir flour into milk and combine with soup and garlic salt in a medium-size saucepan. Simmer for 2 minutes untilthickened; stir in 3/4 cup of the cheese.
6. Return pasta to pot and stir in chicken and soup mixture. Spoon into prepared baking dish and top with bacon and remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
7. Broil 4 inches from flame for 2 to 3 minutes or until heated and lightly browned on top. Serve immediately.



Big Time Banana Bread! I am not going to tell you how much this cost, I did not figure it out, sorry. I used a few bananas I had in the fridge that were VERY ripe and 2 bananas that were starting to get polka dots! I made 1 loaf and 12 muffins. I have been using this recipe for at least 8 years.
When I was pregnant with Ashlyn, I found a website, babycenter.com I met some great women there. We all loved to cook. A friend named Bren shared this recipe with me, along with many others, and in time I will get them on here too!
It is not a healthy food item, but so yummy! I think that baking is one of my favorite things to do!
Please try this recipe! You will not be sorry! It freezes well too!

I also have a weight watchers version but, I have not tried to make it, maybe next time!







Big Time Banana Bread
by Bren
1 stick plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
6 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups mashed, very ripe bananas (about 6-7 mashed by hand with a fork)
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup sour cream or heavy cream
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray bottoms ONLY of 2 loaf pans with non-stick
cooking spray. Beat butter in large mixing bowl with mixer set at medium speed
until light & fluffy. Add both sugars and beat well. Add eggs and vanilla;
beat until well blended. Add mashed bananas and beat on high for about 30
seconds.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, & baking powder; mix
until combined well. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with
cream. Fold in walnuts. Pour batter evenly between the 2 loaf pans. Bake until
browned and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 15
minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Remove from pan
& cool completely. Slice & Serve. Serve alone, or with butter or with
cream cheese.
This tastes even better the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment