Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chili & Cauliflower Popcorn!

Tonight is my first blog about dinners! My goal is to share some fun and easy and healthy recipes with you! If I remember to take a picture, I will but I may have just a few links and a recipe. I will do my best to cite every source, if I miss one, I am sorry, some of my recipes are so old, I have no idea where I got them!
I made Chili in the crock pot today. I followed a suggestion on pintrest on how to cook the meat: http://tamistipsandtricks.blogspot.com/search/label/ground%20beef
I did 5# of meat. 3# went into the chili. 2# are in baggies in the freezer for another night.
I made my own Chili seasoning that I found on allrecipes.com:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chili-seasoning-mix-ii/detail.aspx
I have no idea what it cost to make, I figure NOTHING since I had everything in my
cabinet! I used 3 Rounded Large Dinner Spoons, you know, the one you use to
serve the veggies with!
Here is what I bought to make dinner:
3# 97% lean Ground Beef $6
2 cans tomato sauce $0.64
Kidney Beans, light red, dark red & white $2.41
Crushed Tomatoes $1.27
2 packages Corn Bread mix $1.96
Shredded Cheese $1.55
Green Chilies $1.00
Sour Cream $1.25
Fritos $1.99
1 cup Milk $0.16
2 eggs $0.33
Total $18.56

I cooked the meat last night, put it into the crock pot. I held it in the fridg over night. This
morning at 6:15, before I left for work, I turned it on, and added Chili mix,
beans (drained & rinsed) Tomato sauce and Crushed. I filled my crock pot to
the "Min Fill" line, about one of each can of tomatoes. I have a
newer model, I got it for CHRISTmas last year.
I turned it on low for 10 hours. Dale was home today so he gave it a stir a few times, I didn't even ask him to!
Corn Bread was easy, mix, milk, egg. I tossed it in my borrowed, thanks mom, cast iron skillet, (not sure where mine went)
I added a few green chilies from the can to 1/2 of the pan before it went into the oven. Dale & I like them, the kids don't.
Baked for 20 minutes at 400. I think my pan was too hot and there was a nice black spot on the bottom. Still tasted OK though!
OK, here it is the story behind Cauliflower Popcorn! I was sitting at Ashlyn's skating lessons and going through a cool magazine that I found. I have no idea where I got it! There was a recipe for Cauliflower Popcorn. We gave it a try tonight, it was very yummy if you don't ask Brian! I didn't read the recipe correctly, it is really just a guide right? I baked it at 450 instead of 425. I wanted to eat it so bad that I didn't even take a second to take a picture of it until we were done
eating it!


No I did not bake it with a penny, I used it as a guide so you could see how small the pieces were. This was all that was left after Ashlyn & I ate!
The recipe came from Chop Chop Magazine

Cauliflower Popcorn
Crisp on the outside, creamy on the
inside—you’ll have a hard time stopping once you bite into one!
Ingredients
1 cauliflower (core cut out, pull apart florets into pieces about the size of popped corn)
2 teaspoons olive oil (or vegetable oil)
1/2 teaspoon salt
Instructions
Wash your hands with soap and water,
then gather all your kitchen gear and ingredients and put them on a clean counter.
With the help of your adult, turn the oven on and set it to 425 degrees.
Put the cauliflower, oil and salt on the baking sheet and mix well.
When the oven is hot, with the help of your adult, put the baking sheet in the oven and cook until golden brown, about 30 minutes.

Source URL: http://www.chopchopmag.org/recipes/cauliflower-popcorn-0

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to mention that there was NO oil on top of the Chili. I guess the steaming of the meat took away the extra fat. The clean up of the steaming was a bit messy but if it gets reid of that much fat, I am in for that!

    ReplyDelete