Monday, March 12, 2012

1-2-3 cake

I like Pinterest. I am not into it as much as other people are. I like the funny quotes that friends post and the delicious looking food!
I have "pinned" many things. This is the first thing that I have made, I think. Have I talked about it before? No wait, at work one day we had a surplus of Bananas. A friend pinned these chocolate dipped peanut butter banana things. She asked me what to do with them, I said, "That thing you pinned on pinterest" she replied, I don't know how to make them, they just looked good."
Well, we came up with our own version, not as pretty, AT ALL but still tasted good!
Now back to this 1-2-3 cake.
^This is the link to it.
Here is what you need:
1 gallon baggie
1 box Angelfood Cake mix
1 box Cake Mix, any flavor
1 coffee cup
1 tablespoon to measure.
water
Here is what you do:
Mix together the box of Angelfood Cake mix with the box of ANY flavor cake mix. a
Spoon 3 Tablespoons into a microwave safe coffee mug. Add 2 Tablespoons water, stir well. Cook in the microwave for minute.
Allow to cool slightly then eat.
The blog explains why this works but here is the simple version: Angelfood Cake is sugar, flour and egg whites. The angelfood cake mix replaces the "egg" in the regular cake mix.
After reading the comments on the blog, I decided to reduce the Angelfood Cake mix to 1/2 of the bag. This is where my food scale came in handy!
I followed the directions as listed except used only 1/2 the box of angelfood. I made Chocolate.It was very yummy. A nice treat!
It does not replace a slice of baked chocolate cake! However, if you tend to have chocolate cravings and do not want to bake a whole cake, it will most likely satisfy you.
Remember back in the 80's when you could buy the Microwaveable cakes? I think Pillsbury made them, there was a chocolate cake that came with a plastic bunt pan. Does anyone remember these? I do fondly!
I found a video of it:
I was hoping this would taste like they did. It has the same texture but not the same richness.
I used Betty Crocker Triple Chocolate Cake mix. It was chocolatey but not over the top.
KWIM?
So, since I had a half box of angelfood cake left over, I also tried it with Lemon cake mix! I don't think I mixed it very well because it tasted to eggy.

I will try it again and let you know.
The good points:
**Cost:
Angelfood Cake mix $3.59, not on sale.
Chocolate Cake mix $1.25
Lemon Cake mix $1.25
Total: $6.09
Chocolate cake was $3.04 to make 21 "cup" cakes = $0.14 per cake
Lemon Cake was $3.04 to make 24 "cup" cakes = $0.13 per cake
**It will keep for a while, as long as you store it in an air tight container, such as a baggie!
Keep it in your desk at work, if you want a treat, mix in some water and have a treat!
**Calorie count:
3 Tablespoons of the Chocolate cake mix has 116 calories and 1 fat gram!
3 Tablespoons of the Lemon cake mix has 120 calories and 1.75 fat grams!
**You can make 1 cake at a time! I made 4 tonight since we were all home but I can make them just for the kids if I want!
So my final review:
They are easy make, a good for a quick snack or craving. I would prefer a home made chocolate cake instead, I make a pretty good one:)
Oh, here are a few pictures I took with my phone:
This is the batter before I cooked it. I looked like really thich Hot Chocolate!
This is the cooked cake. Kind of spongey.

No comments:

Post a Comment