Wednesday, March 21, 2012

"White Girl" chilaquiles

I love that the boys at work like to cook food for us. I have a favorite, chilaquilies! Oh man, can they make some yummy stuff! I was first introduced to these at a local mexican restaurant. Theirs are pretty good but they go NOTHING on my boys at work.

I went to work yesterday and I talked about the dinner that I was planning to make. I was so excited! I love my Doritos Casserole! Sounds weird, Doritos in a casserole?

I got the recipe from my cousin Kelly Cook. Yep, her last name is cook, so let her do it!

So, I made dinner last night, it was as good as I remember. It has been a while since I made it.
I took the leftovers to work with me today so that they could try it and Tracie said it tastes like "white girl chilaquilies" So that is what I will rename it!
I have been making this for YEARS!!!!
We love it, I make 2 changes; I use less chicken, who needs 6 chicken breasts? I also add the green chilies to the layers. My kids are not huge fans, so I make half with and half without.

Green Chilies Casserole

4-6 chicken Breasts, cooked and chopped
2 cans diced green chilies
2 cans cream of chicken soup
16oz Sour Cream
3/4c Chicken Broth
14oz bag doritos, smashed into small pieces
1pound Cheese, grated

In a large bowl combine Chilies, Soup, Sour Cream and Chicken Broth.
Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
Layer 1/2 crushed chips, 1/2 chicken, 1/2 soup mixture, 1/2 cheese. Repeat.
Refrigerate 30 minutes to 2 hours. This is important, it allows the chips to soften.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
I like it with sour cream!

I have made this with cream of mushroom soup and ground beef. It is a bit different but still good.

Since the canned items are in 2's you can make a half recipe of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment