Friday, February 24, 2012

Tomato sauce

I am attending a wine and chocolate party tonight so dinner will be pizza for the kids. Since I am beginning my new diet today, I will be eating pasta and home made tomato sauce.

I found this recipe about 8 years ago. I make it in double, I don't even use the actual recipe any longer, I just toss a bit of this and a bit of that in to the pot and see what come out!
Since I double it, it makes about 16 cups, a bit more but about that.
I have four 1 quart containers that I pour it into. I put it in the freezer and we have tomato sauce for a month or so.
It originaly had meatballs that went into it but I don't make those very often. I prefer ground meats in my sauce.
I am a pasta addict. I am switching to whole wheat. It is not as yummy as the regular stuff but it has more fiber and that is what I need.

So here is the recipe, I don't have a photo since I have not made dinner yet :)

I watched an old episode of "Good Eats" and he canned jam. I was thinking that I might try to can this tomato sauce. The size of the continer will not change, it will just not take up room in my freezer, and not require pre-planning on my part. I almost always have pasta in the cupboard so this would make for an even easier dinner!


Tomato Sauce (Julia)
1 28 oz can Crushed Tomatoes
1 28 oz can Tomato Puree
1/4 of a 28 oz can filled with water, I use 1 whole can of water that way it can simmer longer!
1/4 cup Olive Oil
4-6 cloves minced garlic(depending on palate)
1tsp dried basil
1Tbsp sugar
2 tsp Salt(preferably Kosher)
Fresh ground pepper to taste
Saute garlic and olive oil in a large saucepan(with cover for later) over
medium/low heat. Do not brown garlic. Takes approximately 2-3 minutes.
Add both cans of tomatoes and water, turn up heat to medium/high and cook for
2-3 minutes.
Add basil,sugar,salt and pepperr. Cook uncovered until the sauce begins to
bubble.
After the sauce bubbles, turn down to low. Cover pot and let simmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment