Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Yummy summer salad...in February

We went out to dinner to night. It was yummy.

So as promised I will share my thoughts on Ashlyn’s new favorite side dish.
I found this on allrecipes.com.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spinach-and-orzo-salad/detail.aspx

You will see that I get many of my recipes from there. I will make them once and then tweak them if they are not to our liking.
I cut the recipe in half. I am glad I did since we all ate it with enough for Dale to have leftovers for lunch on Monday. I forgot to ask him if it was still good or if it lost flavor and texture.

Ashlyn LOVED it! And by LOVED it I mean she asked me if she could “take it in her lunch box EVERY day!”

I am not sure that she would like it every day but once a week could be fun. I made it as written with one exception, the kids are not fans of red onion so I did thin slices of onion not finely chopped. It was enough to give it flavor and still easy for them to pick out.

I think it would be a great summer dish, add some leftover cold chicken and you have a quick entrée!

Spinach and Orzo Salad

Makes 4 servings with leftovers

1/2 (16 ounce) package uncooked orzo pasta

1/2 (10 ounce) package baby spinach leaves, finely chopped

1/4 pound crumbled feta cheese

1/4 red onion, finely chopped

1/4 cup pine nuts (it should have been 3/8 of a cup so I did an over filled cup, I also lightly toasted them.)

1/4 teaspoon dried basil

1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add orzo and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and rinse with cold water.

Transfer to a large bowl and stir in spinach, feta, onion, pine nuts, basil and white pepper. Toss with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Refrigerate and serve cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment