Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Tomato Jam

A few weeks ago I had some friends over. I made a collection of bruchettas for them. The menu was inspired by Postino's Wine Cafe in Phoenix. They will be opening in just a few weeks a MILE from my house! So I figure if I walk there, I can have a few glasses of wine! Oh and all glasses are $5 until 5pm!!!

http://postinowinecafe.com/

So they have a list of 13 bruchettas that they offer. I cut the menu down to 3 of my favorites. This one did not make the cut UNTIL my sisters and I had lunch there one afternoon.

This is A recipe for tomato jam, it is where I started.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-tomato-jam/detail.aspx

I read the reviews, I made a few changes and this is what I came up with.
So the changes I made include:
Apple sauce, I didn't have any apple juice.
Cinnamon instead of Cayenne
Nutmeg instead of Cumin
Canned tomatoes instead of Fresh tomatoes.
I made this in a non-stick pot.

Tomato Jam

1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup apple sauce
3/4 cup tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 lemon, quartered and sliced thin
1. Combine vinegar, apple juice, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, mustard, allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a large non-reactive pan over medium heat; cook and stir until sugar
dissolves completely; stir in the chopped tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a
boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until liquid has reduced by
half, 30 to 45 minutes. Add the lemon slices and cook another 15 minutes.
2. Refrigerate until ready to eat. Will last for 4 weeks in an air tight container.

For Bruchetta, toast a few slices of chewy bread. Spread with goat or sheep's milk cheese. Top with cold tomato jam. Serve.

Today I made it for a friend; we did not have goat or sheep's milk so we made it with cream cheese.
I will not see her until Monday, I wonder how it tasted???



No comments:

Post a Comment